Monday 21 January 2013

A Film Review


Last night was movie night with the family and we went to see Les Miserables. 


I have wanted to see this movie ever since I heard it was being made. But did it live up to my expectations?

Yes!

Les Mis was pretty much amazing. Anne Hathaway (who I usually don't like in anything) was brilliant, and I had a little tear while she was singing 'I dreamed a dream'. Her portrayal of Fantine was just heartbreaking. Another actor who was really good was Eddie Redmayne who plays Marius. You could tell that he was one of the actors that was a trained singer, as well as Samantha Barks who played Eponine. Hugh Jackman was great as Jean Valjean, although there were a tiny number of singing bits that were a bit iffy.
Russell Crowe should never sing again.
Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen almost stole the show as the Innkeepers! 'Master of the House' is my favourite song from Les Mis, and they totally did it justice. They are the much needed comic relief of the whole thing and did it brilliantly.
Oh, and the two little kids that played young Cosette (the girl in the poster above) and the little boy at the baracades, Gavroche, were so adorable!

The cinematography was excellent, and the sets were so great. And I felt really proud of myself when I *spoiler alert * picked up on the foreshadowing of Javert's death.

I have seen the stage show as well, so I knew what was going to happen as the movie progressed, but seeing the movie is a completely different experience. I think something that the movie adds is the ability to see the emotion really close up. When you are in the audience of the stage show, it is sometimes hard to see the expressions on the actors faces, due to the fact that you are seated far away. 

Some negatives would be that the movie (just like the stage show) does drag on a bit. It is almost three hours long, and when all the dialogue is sung instead of spoken, it can get a bit tedious in parts. Definitely will not appeal to all cinema-goers.  Also, while the close ups were good in some parts, director Tom Hooper does really love the close-up shot. 

Overall I give Les Mis:


1 comment:

  1. Agree, agree, agree! You're so right!
    xx

    beyondtheflash.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete